Did You Know?
• An outdated appliance can cost you up to $300 a year in energy costs compared to a new ENERGY STAR® appliance
• Your REC will arrange to pick up your old appliance for free
• You will receive a $25 rebate check per recycled appliance
Pull the Plug
Your old appliance (refrigerator, freezer, or window air conditioner) has done its job working tirelessly year after year. But now it’s time to send it on its way to a new life as a recycled product!
Your Touchstone Energy Cooperative has partnered with CLEAResult in the Pull the Plug recycling and rebate program. Pull the Plug is designed to remove old (but still working) high-energy use appliances from our electric lines.
What happens to the appliances
CLEAResult demanufacturers old appliances and safely recycles or disposes of the components in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Appliances collected by CLEAResult will not be reconditioned or resold. All components are recycled or disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner.
The process is documented throughout the entire cycle. The serial number is entered into CLEAResult's database at the pickup site. As hazardous components are stripped out, the pickup serial number accompanies refrigerant, PCB, and mercury switches as they are transferred to handling companies.
Some materials are reused: Metal can be converted into rolled steel for car parts. Refrigerant is tested and some can be reconditioned. Mercury can be recycled. PCBs are sent to a hazardous waste facility where they are incinerated.
What you can do
If you have an old appliance to send on its way, it’s easy to participate:
- Call your Touchstone Energy Cooperative or sign up online
- Your co-op will review your request and send it on to CLEAResult
- CLEAResult will contact you to schedule pickup
- CLEAResult will collect your old appliance and mail you a rebate check